Thursday, September 3, 2009

Night at the Museum

Assumptions. When I was a kid we said assumptions make an a$$ out of you and me.

When I started the Ring of Fire socks, I assumed the pattern was written for 3 DPNs because that is what I use. I cast on as instructed, without thinking much, 34 stitches per needle. I joined, then knit a row, again, not thinking at all. I looked down at a massive beast of a knitted circle. I looked at the directions, confirming I cast on correctly. Yup, 34 on each needle. Yet, I seemed to have a third more stitches than I needed! I reread the pattern again, finally actually reading the beginning instructions. The pattern was written for 2 circulars, not the 3 DPNs I was using. I frogged my giant, 112 stitch sock, and adapted for 3 needles
, scaling back to the more normal 68 stitches :)

I saw King Tut at the De Young last night. It was a lovely exhibit, really well put together. Much improved from the version I saw 5 years ago in LA. The sky was crazy last night, unusual high clouds (we usually only get low fog) made for a dramatic sky behind the modern towers of the De Young.





3 comments:

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love it - that would have been one GIANT sock!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Rose and Nikita! But now that the wedding is over, we are expecting some awesom blogging from you!

Unknown said...

Rose and Kristina, check out the original Elizabeth Zimmerman sweater on the Brooklyn Tweed web site. It is wonderful.