Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New Techniques

I have been plugging away at my Clapotis, which is shaping up nicely, and got the urge to cast on a project that would allow me to learn some new techniques. Last week I decided on my pattern, Veronik Avery's Short Row Hat, and grabbed a skein of worsted Malabrigo and wound it into a ball. This week, I cast on.



This pattern uses two techniques new to me: the provisional cast on (invisible cast on) and short rows. I have done short rows in socks, but not in a hat. I am have not yet completed a full repeat of the diamond pattern, and I am excited to see how the short rows unfold into diamond shapes. I already love the pattern's strategic decreases that eliminate the holes created by the yarn overs.
The provisional cast on took a few perusals of the demo video on knittinghelp.com (very clear and helpful, as always) and a couple practice tries before I got it down well enough to actually cast on for the hat. I used a cotton yarn as my spare yarn, which I think was a mistake. The figure 8 twists were a bit tight in the cotton yarn, and took some finagling to get things in order.

As always, Malabrigo is a treat to knit with, so smooth and lovely. The pattern is clever, and is knitting up quickly. This seems like it will be a instant gratification project!
Spring roses from my mom's backyard:

No comments: