Sunday, August 10, 2008

Silk Aran Cowl




FO:

Silk Aran Cowl
Pattern: Quickie Cowl, by Fawn Pea
Yarn: Rowan RYC Natural Silk Aran in color 470 from Knitterly in Petaluma
Needles: 4.5mm green aluminum heirloom needles, passed on from my late aunt



This baby has been languishing at the bottom of my knitting basket since I finished the knitting portion back in March. I blocked at the same time I washed the wee Brûlée. This was my first attempt at wet blocking. Lessons learned: a wash and a soak makes the texture and scent of yarn much softer, and my cast off edge is much tighter than my cast on edge.






My cast off edge was inflexible and difficult to stretch in the blocking process, while my cast on edge was stretchy and easy to pin out.



I love this yarn. The texture, the look, the color are all wonderful. I love the tweedy flecks of orange and yellow contrasting against the raw, natural silk.



Eye candy shot of the elusive Golden Gate Bridge, which kept appearing and disappearing during our seaside walk. On the walk we saw three dolphins frolicking below, just off shore of China Beach. I would think dolphins would opt for warmer waters than the chilly SF bay, but this is the second time I have seen them of the coast here. A beautiful day here in SF, made better by the completion of a long hibernating WIP.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are amazingly talented.

Rose said...

thanks for the encouragement...spoken like a true proud mama :)